- Rhymes: -ɛəriəl
- Biblical Hebrew name meaning literally "lion of God", and used also in reference to the city of Jerusalem.
- Name of a spirit in the play The Tempest by Shakespeare.
- Name of the twelfth and brightest moon of the planet Uranus.
- A given name, often borrowed from Spanish usage.
- A given name, mostly of persons born after 1970.
Proper nounes-proper noun m
- male given name
Ariel is a unisex name in its Western and English form. Among the frequently occurring names from the 2000 U.S. Census-http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/decades/names2000s.html the masculine and feminine versions are ranked 531 and 205, respectively. Ariel is an Archangel name (see 'Other' section, below) from the Hebrew אֲרִיאֵל "Lion of God." Archangel Ariel is known as the Angel of Healing and New Beginnings. In English, Ariel is pronounced, "air-ee-ul"; in Hebrew, French, Spanish and German it is pronounced, "ah-ree-el." Other forms are Arielle and Ariella, both of which are female names. In Chinese, Ariel is pronounced Āi Lǐ Ěr (Simplified 埃里尔 Traditional 埃裡爾). An alternate Chinese spelling is Yà liè (亚列).
- Ariel, an airy Spirit, a character in William Shakespeare's play The Tempest
- Ariel, the narrator in Alexander Pope's "The Rape of the Lock".
- Princess Ariel, the main character in Disney's 1989 film 'The Little Mermaid'
- Detective Ariel, one of two police inspectors on the case of a triple child murder in Martin McDonagh's The Pillowman
- Ariel A. Gold ("Ari") - Chase's manager in the HBO series "Entourage"
- Ariel DuBois, the fictional daughter of Allison DuBois on the NBC drama Medium
- Ariel, a character in the science fiction series Robotech
- Ariel, an extraterrestrial mutant, a fictional character in the Marvel Comics Universe
- Ariel, a former alias of the Marvel Comics character Kitty Pryde
- Princess Ariel, a main character in the Thundarr the Barbarian animated series
- Ariel, the original name of the Transformers character Elita One
- Ariel of the Balance, a character in the Legacy of Kain video game series
- Ariel, the name of the main character's dead beagle in the novel "Speak"
- Ariel Truax, the name of Ann-Margret's character in the movie, "Grumpy Old Men."
- Ariel Maloney, the name of Teri Hatcher's character in the movie, "Soapdish."
- Ariel Sullivan, the name of Emma Bolger's character in the movie, "In America."
- Ariel Moore, the name of Lori Singer's character in the movie, "Footloose."
- Ariel, the name of the Angel of Healing, (played by Ivana Milicevic) in the ABC Family mini-series, "Fallen."
- Ariel, the hero of the concept albums Epica and The Black Halo by American power metal band Kamelot.
- Ariel, the prime antagonist in Isobelle Carmody's fantasy series the Obernewtyn Chronicles
- Ariel Wolfe, a young woman played by actress Amanda Righetti in the movie, "Return to House on Haunted Hill."
- Ariel (Beliaev), a science fiction novel by Russian author Alexander Beliaev
- Ariel (newspaper), the in-house magazine of the BBC
- "Ariel's Crossing" a novel by American writer, Bradford Morrow
- Ariel (Plath), the last book of poetry by Sylvia Plath
- Ariel: The Book of Fantasy, a periodical published in the 1970s in book form
- Ariel (campus newspaper), the former campus newspaper at the University of Minnesota
- Ariel, by Grace Tiffany, a modern adaption of Shakespeare's Tempest, with Ariel as a female spirit.
- "Truly, Madly Manhattan" a novel by Nora Roberts, featuring actress Ariel Kirkwood
- Ariel, published in 1900, a highly influential work by Uruguayan essayist José Enrique Rodó
- Ariel Award, a Mexican Academy of Film Award
- Ariel (film), a 1988 Finnish film by Aki Kaurismäki
- Footloose (1984), starring Kevin Bacon as Ren and Lori Singer as Ariel Moore
- Grumpy Old Men (1993) and its sequel, Grumpier Old Men, starring Ann-Margret as Ariel Truax
- In America (2003), directed by Jim Sheridan, starring Emma Bolger as Ariel Sullivan
- Return to House on Haunted Hill (2007), starring Amanda Righetti as Ariel Wolfe
- The Little Mermaid (film) Ariel is the Little Mermaid in this Disney movie.
- Soapdish (1991), starring Teri Hatcher as Ariel Maloney
- Starting Out in the Evening (2007), based on the novel by American writer, Brian Morton. Actress Lili Taylor plays the role of Ariel, the adult daughter of lead character, author Leonard Schilling.
- As the World Turns, the long-running day-time television series, starred Judith Blazer as Ariel Aldrin, from 1982-1985
- Angel One, a first season episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, broadcast on January 25, 1988. Patricia McPherson starred as Ariel, one of six elected mistresses of Planet Angel One
- Ariel Hunter, a young woman played by actress Kari Wührer during the 1994-95 season of television series, "Beverly Hills 90210".
- Ariel, a planet visited in "The Last Sunset", an episode of Space: 1999
- "Ariel" (Firefly episode), an episode of the television series Firefly
- "Medium", an NBC television series (2005-present), starring Sofia Vassilieva as teenager Ariel DuBois
- Nip/Tuck, television series, featuring Brittany Snow as Ariel Alderman
- Ariel (band), an Australian rock band of the mid-1970s
- Ariel, a group with which the electronic musician Kid 606 has worked
- "Ariel" (song) by Dean Friedman, or the character about whom the song is written
- Ariels, an album by electronica band Bent
- "Ariel" (song) by The Cure (Robert Smith) unreleased until remastered on The Top album
- Ariel Storm (band) Ambient Dreampop duo of Kai Ariel and Ariana Storm.
- Ariel Kill Him is an indie/alternative band from Sweden
- Ariel, a song of the British hard rock band Rainbow (band)
- Ariel (Beanie Baby), a Beanie Baby bear produced by Ty, Inc. in memory of Ariel Glaser in which profits were donated to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
- Ariel (washing powder), a washing powder brand of Procter & Gamble
- HMS Ariel, the name of ten ships of the Royal Navy
- USS Ariel, the name of five ships of the United States Navy
- Ariel (American automobile), formerly an American automobile
- Ariel (British automobile), formerly a British automobile
- Ariel Ltd, a modern British car company
- Ariel (vehicle), a former manufacturer of motorcycles, bicycles, and cars
- Ariel 3, the first artificial satellite designed and built in the United Kingdom.
- Ariel (angel), an angel in Judaism, Christianity (Gnostic) & occult lore
- Ariel (anime), an anime OVA series
- Ariel was a stage name used by female pro wrestler Shelly Martinez during her employment with the ECW organization
- Ariel Gazelle is another name for the Dorcas Gazelle
- Ariel (computer program), a document delivery program distributed by Infotrieve
- Operation Ariel was the British military evacuation from western France in World War II
Ariel in Bulgarian: Ариел
Ariel in Czech: Ariel
Ariel in Welsh: Ariel
Ariel in Danish: Ariel
Ariel in German: Ariel
Ariel in Spanish: Ariel
Ariel in French: Ariel
Ariel in Italian: Ariel
Ariel in Hebrew: אריאל (פירושונים)
Ariel in Dutch: Ariël
Ariel in Japanese: アリエル
Ariel in Norwegian: Ariel
Ariel in Low German: Ariel
Ariel in Polish: Ariel
Ariel in Portuguese: Ariel
Ariel in Russian: Ариэль (значения)
Ariel in Slovak: Ariel
Ariel in Slovenian: Ariel
Ariel in Finnish: Ariel
Ariel in Swedish: Ariel
Ariel in Turkish: Ariel
Ariel in Ukrainian: Аріель